WHAT CAN YOU USE THIS ON??
It might be easier to tell you what it cant be used on because that list is a whole lot shorter than the former. It cannot be used on anything with a waxy/greasy/oily surface without first cleaning. It also cannot be used on a surface that is wet, or on asphalt, shellac, vinyl or linoleum tile. If you are planning on using this to recolor your wood floors, you can do so without removing the topcoat but you do need to make sure that you clean them with a product meant to remove wax buildup first.
You read that right-our Gel Stain can be applied to virtually any surface with no prep (other than cleaning off the cobwebs!). It can even be used on a surface that has been previously finished with a sealer, scratched, painted etc. without first stripping that surface. It’s a game changer!
- This product is applied via brush, roll or wipe on method. It is NOT a paint on wipe back product.
- Use a soft synthetic bristle brush or a short (1/4" or less) nap roller or applicator pad to apply (no foam rollers). Start with a damp applicator moistened with mineral spirits. Squeeze out excess spirits (make sure to use gloves).
- Dries to the touch in approximately 8 hours and can be re-coated at that time
- Has a thicker gel like consistency – each color varies. WHEN STIRRED, IT BECOMES LESS VISCUS.
- Long open time and Self Leveling.
- Comes in Quart size only-in 4 different colors.
- One Coat is a transparent satin finish. Subsequent coats become more opaque, except for Patina which will remain transparent as it contains no pigment.
- Satin Finish.
- Coverage - 120 sq ft (one coat)
- Laminate, Lacquered, previously painted or coated surfaces.
- Damaged or Scratched surfaces
- Almost a no prep product- just clean and remove any wax or grease. No sanding or de-glossing required to apply this.
- Extremely durable. Excellent for Flooring and heavy use kitchen table tops etc.
- Works on Bare Wood surfaces for a beautiful satin finish.
STIR THOROUGHLY BEFORE APPLICATION. Do not shake as you will introduce bubbles. Appears as a colored gel until stirred with a paint stir stick. Apply a thin coat in a dust free area using a brush, an applicator pad or very short nap roller (NOT a foam roller-as it causes air bubbles). Our tool of preference for this product is the Fusion short nap, high density foam applicator pad. Dries to a satin sheen in the color of your choosing. Dry time is approximately 8 hours at 77°F and 50% relative humidity on most porous surfaces BUT can be longer if applied thickly or to completely sealed surfaces. Remember to always test for tack – if it’s still tacky wait another few hours and re-test. Subsequent coats can be applied once dry to the touch. (One coat of pigmented gel stain is translucent – subsequent coats build to a solid color. Test your methods in an inconspicuous area.) Once dry, area can be lightly used in 24 to 48 hours. Takes approx. 5 days to cure.
NOTE: If applying to brand new raw wood, the first coating should be thinned by 20% by using 1 part mineral spirits and 4 parts gel stain (dry time will be much shorter on this initial coat).
PRO TIP: After allowing 8 hours dry time, give a light sanding with a fine grit sandpaper like our Ultra Fine 220 Grit Sanding Pad followed by a quick dust and buff with a terry clothe towel after and in between every coat of gel stain. This technique produces a beautiful satin lustre similar to the look of freshly buffed wax - only this product is permanent and does not require annual applications like most all wax products do. GAME. CHANGER.
PREP, CLEAN UP AND CURE TIME
- Thoroughly clean and/or remove your surface of any waxy/greasy/oily substances
- Mineral Spirits for clean up
- Dries to the touch in approximately 8 hours
- Cures in 5 Days